I performed research, design and implementation of user experience on projects across the enterprise for both external and internal stakeholders.
I contributed to the enterprise re-design, patterns and library initiative and as a designer with the banking fraud group.
I was very fortunate to be aligned with a senior web producer with years of experience who helped me navigate the organizational ins-&-outs as well as promoted a nurturing learning environment.
The changes are employed within an existing flow which was built within corporate standards using existing patterns. This alleviated having to create a new user flow from scratch.
Input from the banking SME was invaluable for insight into the Automated Clearing House electronic financial transactions network and the changes that would need to be developed to introduce connectivity to that external system.
We worked together to pinpoint a list of new specs that would account for re-routing customers away from the flow and ask them to return later when they had more information.
Iterative design couched with qualitative usability testing
I generated low fidelity wire frames to socialize the proposed changes among the design group and team.
Until we could present walk-throughs and prototypes to users we could only go on hunches as to if the combinations of page elements and content were striking the right balance.
Verbiage and specific concise textual instructions early on identified as being cornerstone to task completion.
Stand up sessions presented opportunities for feedback on technical and philosophical issues, to see failings within a design and refine forward. I increased the code complexity of the prototypes to mimic production quality behaviors.
Supportive feedback informed the choice of flow and design elements used. We moved forward with direct user engagement to validate the design direction.
My team had a huge advantage in having a dedicated customer recruiter available to onsite customers to test in usability lab.
Multi-session user testing presented an opportunity for simple structured discussion with users to highlight breaking points, roadblocks and opportunities and hear the realistic applicability of the solution.
I learned facilitation techniques and was able to practice hands-on guided usability interrogations.
Our solution had to communicate a seamlessly integrated feeling with the site to achieve a sense of ease and prevent users from abandoning the process.
The process could easily become too complicated. Our goal was to optimize content making it accessible to the widest audience.
The User Testing helped us solidify what would be necessary to enable the user to successfully complete the Add Account task.
User Testing empowered us to make a informed decision on where the new data validation capture process could occur within the technical implementation.
I incorporated the changes into the pre-production designs and presented the final product to two different executive committees for final authorization for live release to the enterprise site.
There was concern about messaging to the customer and escalating awareness of direction to complete the process. I created a mockup of the messaging center page and example notifications and account alerts specific to our process. Copy clarity was a high level concern that I fortunately could tap a great Content Manager for further help with.
Our due diligence escalated the unforeseen impact introducing external verification would have on the My Accounts page. Augmenting this important customer services portal was outside of our project scope and though the sponsors were apprehensive to the fact that changes to the portal would have to be made they were enthusiastic that our research had revealed the need for changes.
We encouraged them to challenge their assumptions about the customers online experience and think more strategically about the My Accounts page redesign and to be aware that it would need to have a flexible design that could be updated as the enterprise services changed over time instead of being constructed in a way that prevented organic growth.